You probably have noticed the number of advertisements promoting the use of protein drinks. Aside from that, it appears that the number of bodybuilders taking protein shakes is increasing.
Bodybuilders know that the primary source of protein should be from eating whole foods. However, it is not uncommon for someone who wants to live an active lifestyle to be very busy.
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day but not everyone has the time to prepare breakfast and enjoy it. Here is where protein drinks come in. Protein powders can serve as a replacement for a full meal. They’re easy to prepare since you simply add water and mix it well.
Improperly preparing shakes can lead to a different flavor than what is intended and could even lead to the drinker adding more powder to the mixture. This is why clumps should be avoided when adding the powder to liquid.
Benefits of Using Protein Powders
Protein powders are an easy way to increase your daily intake of protein. Whether you are an athlete training for a competition or someone who wants to pursue an active lifestyle, having your daily dose of protein is essential. It helps maintain and build muscle mass after brutal workouts.
While protein powders are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, it is important to keep in mind the dosage and your end goal. Be it losing weight or gaining muscles, there are several factors to consider before you decide which protein powder to consume and how much.
Several protein powder manufacturers have tested their products to reassure consumers that the ingredients in their protein drinks are safe and harmless. Top protein powders should promote the repair and growth of muscles. Your source of protein should fulfill its purpose of manufacturing components of the immune system, nucleic acids, cellular messengers, enzymes and hormones.
Without the right amount of protein in our body our cells, tissue and organs would fail us. We need protein to allow our bodies to create the biochemical substances that are essential for cardiovascular purposes as well as muscle synthesis which includes the healing, growth and contracting muscles.
The Best Time to Drink Protein Shakes
Protein shakes are best consumed immediately when you wake up in the morning, before your workout routine and after your workout routine. When you sleep, your body consumes protein. Drinking protein shakes in the morning allows you to start the day with the right kind of energy.
Drinking protein shakes before a workout gives your body a little zap that wakes you up and prepares your mind for the workout at hand. This also allows you to provide the essential supply of protein that your muscle will need during your workout routine.
Drinking protein shakes after a workout is essential because unlike whole foods, the protein in protein powders only takes about 30 to 45 minutes to reach the muscle after being consumed. After your workout, you need protein to heal your muscles. This is one of the many advantages of taking a protein drink.
|Vega Sport Protein Powder, Vanilla, 1.83 lb, 20 Servings||$||4.2/5|
|Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder||$$$||4.5/5|
|BSN SYNTHA-6 Protein Powder||$$||4.6/5|
|Garden of Life Meal Replacement||$$||4/5|
|Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder||$$||4.2/5|
|Quest Nutrition Protein Powder||$||4.4/5|
|MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey Protein Powder||$$||4.4/5|
|EAS 100% Pure Whey Protein Powder||$||4.3/5|
|NAKED WHEY 5LB #1 Undenatured 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder||$$$||4.5/5|
|Jay Robb - Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate Powder||$$||4.5/5|
Top Protein Powders
Now that we have provided you with the basic information regarding the proper consumption of protein powders, let us proceed to provide you with our top 5 protein powders in the market today. Hopefully by the end of this article, you will be able to choose which from these protein powders will work best for you.
Vega Sport Protein Powder
With Vega Sport Protein Powder you can rest assured that what you are putting in your body is essential in achieving a powerful workout. Yes, eating breakfast can greatly affect your workout routine but drinking protein shakes is where the added protein boost comes from.
There’s no need to worry about gaining too much weight because this protein powder is low in carbs. If you are maintaining your weight and at the same time looking for a source of protein that is very effective then Vega Sport Protein Powder is the protein drink for you.
- 30 g of protein
- Includes BCAAs or Branched Chain Amino Acids (6 g)
- Includes a billion pro-biotics (CFU)
- Blended from a premium source of plant-based protein
- Made from plants such as sunflower seed (organic), alfalfa, pumpkin and pea
- Features holes in the seal for a breathable container
- Has now been made available in a new serving tub (45 serving)
- Available in 4 different flavors: Mocha, Chocolate, Berry and Vanilla
- Certified by Informed Choice
- Verified non-GMO
- Certified to be vegan
- Verified to not include any artificial ingredients such as sweeteners, colors and flavors
- Good source of protein
- Assists in the restructuring and building of new muscles
- Considered as the perfect drink after finishing at the gym
- Does not include any harsh ingredients or chemicals that are debarred by the World Anti-Doping Agency
- Has undergone a protocol to ensure that it is gluten-free
- Has undergone a protocol to ensure that the creation of this protein powder did not harm any animals in the process
- Perfect for those wanting to avoid eggs, dairy and even honey
- Very easy to prepare
- The perfect post-workout drink
- Berry flavor is too sweet
- Texture of the powder is grainy
Vega Sports Protein Powder is truly an amazing product as it can deliver quality results by providing the right amount of protein needed to get you through your workout routine/training. Furthermore, the taste and texture of the protein powder is grainy but we believe that this is only a minor setback.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder has proven itself to be one of the best workout companions especially for bodybuilders. This is the perfect thing to drink before heading out to the gym or as a post-workout drink.
This drink provides you with 100% gold-standard whey. It allows the creation and restructuring of your muscles which is needed if you want to be able to finish your workout strong.
- Provides 100% gold-standard whey
- Provides 24 g of whey per serving
- Perfect for a pre- or post-workout shake
- Perfect for both men and women
- Enables the creation and restructuring of muscles
- Includes BCAAs or Branched Chain Amino Acids (5.5 g)
- Includes natural glutamine (4 g)
- Offers 20 various flavors
- Offers various sizes such as: 10, 5, 2 and 1 lbs.
- Commonly purchased alongside ON Amino Energy, ON Creatine as well as Opti Men.
- Perfect for both pre-workout and post-workout sessions
- Provides you with a hassle-free way of preparing your protein shake
- Provides you with the basic building blocks of a good muscle development
- Has a consistent taste
- Effective and shows real results
- Athletes from around the globe have approved of this protein powder
- Does not include any harsh ingredients/artificial elements
- Includes all-pure and all-natural whey
- Amazing bodily recovery system
- The new formula of this protein powder (as compared to its previous formula) contains Sucralose
- Sucralose can give the protein shake an undesirable taste
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder is a remarkable protein powder as it provides you with all the crucial ingredients needed to repair your muscles after working out. The fact that this protein powder offers a 100% whey ingredient very impressive as whey is one of the top ingredients that are found to be very beneficial if you are looking for sources of protein.
BSN SYNTHA-6 Protein Powder
This protein powder has the ability to give you that “push” to start and finish a workout without the dizziness that is often experienced during extensive training. This is a protein drink that lets you run faster, reach higher, lift heavier and last longer. A good protein powder can give you all of this and at the same time, allows your muscles to heal after a workout. BSN SYNTHA-6 Protein Powder is a very healthy way of acquiring the needed protein for your workout.
- Includes 22 g of protein
- Includes 5 g of fiber per serving
- Includes 10 g of necessary amino acids per serving
- Provides you with a creamy and rich milkshake texture as well as taste
- Helps promote muscle synthesis
- Helps you recover from a workout
- Impressive ability to supply the essential energy before, during and after a workout
- Lets you run faster, lift more, last longer and finish strong
- Helps in the healing process of your muscles
- Eliminates the dizziness sometimes felt after a workout
- Made with high-quality ingredients and supplements
- Provides high-quality results
- Helps you perform better at your workout or training
- The perfect go-to drink
- Has a milkshake-like tendency
- Allows muscle synthesis
- Available in 10 different flavors
- Taste is too sweet
- Taste is inconsistent
- Powder gets clumpy
- Clusters noticed at the bottom of the bottle
BSN SYNTHA-6 Protein Powder can help you perform better during your workout and training. This is very beneficial for both athletes training for a competition and those simply wanting to get fit. It aids in the repair of muscles which allows you to get back to training as soon as possible. The recovery capacities achieved when drinking this protein drink are undeniable.
Garden of Life Meal Replacement
We all have to admit that there are certain days when we just don’t feel like hitting up the gym. In those moments, you’ll wish you had Garden of Life Meal Replacement within an arm’s reach.
This protein powder will give you the necessary motivation needed to get yourself out of bed and out the door to the gym. This protein powder gives you a boost in terms of protein as well as a little stimulus to push through your workout routine for the day.
As the name suggests, this powder can serve as a meal replacement without sacrificing the needed minerals and vitamins that are essential for your body to complete your daily activities.
While the primary sources of protein are solid foods, not everyone has the ample amount of time to prepare and enjoy a good meal. If you are one those people then you will be glad to know that by simply adding water and stirring, this drink can give you all the essential nutrients you need for the day.
- Includes organic and clean plant-based protein (20 g)
- Includes fiber (6 g)
- Includes 44 superfoods such as vegetables, fruits and juices from organic and natural grass
- The perfect post-workout drink which helps you recover by building and creating new muscles and boosting your energy
- Includes 21 minerals and vitamins
- Includes 1.5 billion pro-biotics (CFU)
- Complete with enzymes for an easier digestion
- The perfect shake to replace your meal
- Soy-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, organic, kosher Star-K
- Certified by Informed Choice
- Non-GMO food protein
- Perfect for those who don’t have enough time to prepare and enjoy a meal
- Perfect for those who are always on the go
- 100% organic and natural
- Provides you with clean and effective ingredients
- Doesn’t include any fungicides, pesticides or herbicides
- Doesn’t use sewer sludge, antibiotics, hormones or GMOs
- Free from supplements that have been banned by the LGC
- Has undergone extensive testing to ensure there are no banned substance in the product
- Branded as “The Most Trusted Name in Food Safety”
- Verified by NSF
- Verified Non-GMO
- Helps you deal with hunger
- Helps you deal with weight issues
- No sweeteners or preservatives
- Inconsistency in taste
This protein powder is very impressive as it is a 7-in-1 protein powder that is the perfect replacement for a whole meal.
Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder
This protein powder is very effective because it has all of the minerals and vitamins that you need for a strong workout. It provides a 100% whey isolate protein in every scoop serving, which is impressive. If you are someone who is trying to maintain their weight then this protein powder can help you with that while providing you with a low-carb way of acquiring protein.
- Includes 100% whey isolate protein
- Low in carbohydrates
- Has a nice blend of minerals and vitamins
- Free from lactose and gluten
- Includes naturally occurring glutamine
- Perfect for those who feel the effects of aging
- Perfect for an athlete training for a competition
- Perfect for people living an active lifestyle
- Perfect for those on a strict diet
- Provides great muscle strength and synthesis
- Low in carbs
- Free from gluten and aspartame
- Helps you manage your weight
- Texture is chalky, making it hard to digest
If can tolerate the chalky texture then this protein powder is perfect for you. It has all of the essential ingredients, vitamins and minerals that will allow you to finish your workout with excellent results.
Regardless of whether you want to maintain and gain muscle or be fit and lose weight, protein is essential in our daily lives. The primary source of protein is solid foods but sometimes we find ourselves skipping meals. By drinking protein shakes you not only provide yourself with the necessary energy needed to accomplish your tasks, you also increase your ability to recover and build muscle.
If you are an athlete who undergoes extensive training or someone who regularly goes to the gym, you will benefit greatly from drinking protein shakes. As explained, protein shakes are not just for those who engage in physical activity because everyone needs their daily dose of protein. People who are aging can find great benefits in drinking these.
The bottom line is that the only way to find out for sure the effects and advantages of drinking protein shakes is to try them out for yourself.
Although protein powders serve as a good alternative to whole foods, those who need more protein in their diet due to health concerns should first consult a specialist to best determine if supplements are the way to go.
Supplements are, after all, intended to merely meet nutritional needs that cannot be regularly met with fresh food, but that doesn’t mean that they should take the place of natural sources entirely.